Statement of Purpose
The Ohio Wesleyan Community is comprised of many diverse groups. Among these groups are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, and queer/questioning persons. Their presence is not a question but a clearly demonstrated fact. Like any other minority group, LGBTIQ persons face certain issues that the majority does not, including violence, discrimination, invisibility and isolation. Thus there is a need within the Ohio Wesleyan community for a service which comprehensively and safely addresses these concerns. The purpose of the LGBTIQ Resource Center is to help provide LGBTIQ persons, their friends, their families, and allies with the tools to address LGBTIQ related issues and to assist in educating the campus community at large.
- Facilitate interaction between LGBTIQ groups with other student groups on campus and with other local and national organizations.
- Provide reference materials.
- Sponsor LGBTIQ programming on campus.
- Meet the urgent need for clearly recognized LGBTIQ safe zones on campus.
- Incorporate LGBTIQ issues into curricular and co-curricular learning.